HMS WELLINGTON began her successful career in the 1930s. Laid down in September 1933 at Devonport Dockyard, launched in May 1934, she entered service in January 1935. Her purpose was as an Imperial Patrol Sloop destined for the New Zealand Station. She was a Grimsby Class Sloop and displaced 990 tons with a cruising speed of 10 knots and a maximum speed of 16 knots.
She had a crew of 107: a Commanding Officer, four other Commissioned Officers, two Warrant Officers, and 100 other ranks.
She was armed with two 4.7-inch guns, one forward and one aft, and one 3-inch high-angle gun that served for anti-aircraft defence. During the Second World War, she was fitted with an Anti-Submarine Projector called a Hedgehog which fired 24 spigot mortars ahead of the ship. Wellington has a replica on board today.