History Subject Content Coverage KS2
- A local history study, how aspects of national history are reflected in the locality
- Study of an aspect of history from a period dating beyond 1066 that is significant in the locality
- A significant turning point in history such as the Battle of the Atlantic and how it was vital in securing food supplies.
History Key Skills KS2
- Gain historical perspective by placing their growing knowledge into different contexts, understanding the connections between local, regional, national and international history.
- To understand the vital importance of the merchant fleet keeping Britain fed and fuelled during WW2
- To understand the dangers faced by merchant ships during WWII
- To understand how the Royal Navy protected and aided the Merchant fleet.
- To learn about the HMS Wellington during WWII – where she performed her convoy service and what goods were being shipped on those routes
- To understand why goods had to be rationed during WWII, to learn what a week’s worth of rations looked like and how children would have been affected and lived during wartime
- To consider how people at home, including children could help the war effort.